• Why Families Matter
  • About Us
  • Our Services
  • Policy and Campaigns
  • Working with us
  • Support Us
  • Donate

About our Education Grant Programme

Our Education Grants programme assist individuals, aged 16 or over, start or continue on a course of education or training. 

While there are no set limits, in general grants are made for £200 to a maximum £500.  If you need a larger grant we advise you to explore funding from other sources, including your place of study, or to revise the amount you are seeking through Family Action before submitting an application.



Who can be considered for a grant? Applicants must meet all the eligibility criteria of either Family Action’s Education Grants Fund OR the Mid-Yorkshire Social Work Fund detailed below.

Family Action’s Educational Grants Fund

Grants are primarily targeted at families and individuals on low incomes, particularly those living on benefits. Preference will be give to those studying courses likely to lead to improved employment prospects. In addition, applicants must be:

  • Studying at a college or university that is affiliated to EGS (Educational Grants Service).
  • A British national by birth (this means those who at birth had British Citizenship) OR asylum seekers, refugees and those with leave to remain.


Applicants are required to provide the following documents in support of their application.  If one or more cannot be provided we require a comprehensive written explanation of the reason they cannot be supplied:

1. Proof of nationality/residency status:

  • British Citizens should provide: A copy of the relevant page of your passport that shows nationality or a copy of your birth certificate.  
  • Asylum seekers, refugees and those with indefinite leave to remain, or discretionary leave to remain or who have been granted humanitarian protection should provide:  copies of official documents proving your nationality/residential status, e.g. Home Office communications, or a copy of the relevant page of your passport.


2. An academic reference from your college tutor assessing your work, attendance etc. (please note a statement of attendance and/or punctuality is not sufficient; an assessment of your work and progress to date is required). If you haven’t started your course, please provide a copy of your learning agreement or other correspondence from the college confirming details of your course and your enrolment (course title, dates, hours of study etc.)


3. Evidence of the grant requested: You must provide evidence to support the amount of grant requested, e.g. letter from your college providing details of outstanding fees, a copy of required booklist and/or equipment list which details costs. 


Mid-Yorkshire Social Work Fund

Applicants must be:

  • Living or studying in West Yorkshire or North Yorkshire
  • Registered on a General Social Care Council (GSCC) accredited qualifying or post-qualifying course
  • Facing severe financial hardship as a result of their participation in a qualifying or post-qualifying course


If you are studying, rather than living in the area, the relevant higher education institutions are:

  • University of Bradford
  • University of Huddersfield
  • University of Leeds at Wakefield
  • University of York
  • Bradford College


A supporting statement is required from the personal tutor or head of course/programmes to confirm the applicant meets all the above criteria.  The applicant will also need to provide evidence to support the amount of grant requested, e.g. letter from your college providing details of outstanding fees, a copy of required booklist and/or equipment list which details costs.


What we CAN help with:We can help with a wide variety of educational needs including fees, travel, books and equipment.


What we CANNOT help with:

  • Items already covered by statutory funding
  • Private school fees
  • Costs already incurred
  • Childcare costs
  • Daily living expenses
  • Postgraduate studies


Find out how to apply for an education grant