Coming up with a different meal every day that the whole family will enjoy can be a real challenge, especially during the school holidays. Keep your family coming back for more with these two simple recipes, inspired by parents as part of our Family Monsters Project.
Chicken & roasted vegetable couscous
- 70g mushrooms, sliced
- 70g onions, diced
- 70g aubergine, diced
- 70g celery, sliced
- 70g peppers, deseeded and diced
- 70g courgette, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 17ml vegetable oil
- 0.5kg couscous
- 1/2 litre boiling water
- 1/2 vegetable stock cube (reduced salt)
- 270g cooked chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
- Place the vegetables and garlic on a baking tray and drizzle with the vegetable oil.
- Roast the vegetables for 40 minutes, turning them over occasionally.
- In a large bowl, cover the couscous with boiling water and crumble over the stock cube, stirring it in. Cover the bowl with plastic film and set aside while the vegetables are cooking or until the water is absorbed.
- Fluff up the couscous with a fork, add the roasted vegetables and the cooked chicken and mix to combine.
Serving suggestion: serve hot or cold Yummy fish cakes
- 250g hake, cod or haddock, skinned (from a sustainable source)
- 60ml milk
- 60ml water
- 1/2 tbsp chives, snipped
- 240g potatoes, peeled
- 40g onions, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 80g breadcrumbs, fresh
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Dice the peeled potatoes, cover with water and bring to the boil, simmer until cooked.
- Place the skinned fish into a deep baking tray and cover with the water and milk, place in the oven and bake for 15 mins or until firm.
- Strain the potatoes, place back into the pan and dry out over a little heat, put into a bowl, mash and season.
- Take the cooked fish out of the tray, flake.
- Add the finely chopped onion, snipped chives and eggs to the potatoes and mix, carefully add the flaked fish to the mixture.
- Divide the fishcake mixture into 4 or 5 equal amounts, shape into rounds and coat evenly with the breadcrumbs. Place onto the greased oven tray, bake for 15-20 minutes turning once.
Are you feeling inspired by the above? Find more simple recipe ideas to fill your summer on these websites: