Skip navigation

Deputy Service

A Deputy is a person appointed by the Court of Protection to manage the affairs of someone who lacks the capacity to do so for themselves.  There are two types of Deputy, one for Property and Affairs and one for Health and Welfare.

Usually the Deputy will have a connection to the person who lacks capacity such as a relative or friend, or a professional such as a solicitor or accountant.  Where there is nobody closer to the client who is willing or able to act the Court of Protection can appoint a professional Deputy from a list of just over sixty Panel Deputies working across England and Wales.

Family Action’s Head of Deputy Service is approved to act as a Property and Affairs Deputy by the Court of Protection.   Fiona MacGillivray is Family Action’s Head of Deputy Service.

We work with a small number of clients which means we know most of them well and can provide an efficient and personal service.  We are committed to making decisions in the best interests of the client.

Examples of powers we may be given on being appointed Deputy are:

  • dealing with day-to-day finances such as bank accounts, benefits, pensions, tax returns, rent and care home fees
  • sale and purchase of property
  • investment of funds in stocks and shares

Trustee Service

Trustees are appointed to look after a person’s money or property and the terms of their appointment are set out in a ‘Trust Deed’.

Currently Family Action provides this service for two award schemes:  The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) and the Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB).

In your area

We deliver services across the country. Search for a service local to you.
Find us

Contact us

For more information about our Deputy and Trustee Services please contact Simon Lukes at

Telephone: 020 7254 6251