Due to the current Coronavirus – COVID19 pandemic situation, our office at the Fosse Neighbourhood Centre in Leicester is now closed. The service remains open but all contact will be by telephone until further notice. During this time we would encourage you to contact us via email on email@example.com
Thank you for your cooperation.
Joy Russell, Senior Social Worker
What we do
Family Action’s PSA service supports children and young people up to the age of 18 who have experienced sexual abuse. This is a free and confidential service. Our aim is to improve the mental health and emotional wellbeing of children and young people, and bring about greater stability in their lives.
The service is delivered by qualified and experienced social workers who specialise in therapeutic work with children and young people, including the use of creative techniques such as art, stories, craft and play. This service is available to those in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland.
What we offer
- Individual therapeutic work for ages 5 to 18: This is usually offered in six-week blocks. We seek to involve parents and carers, where appropriate. For children under the age of 5 we will provide support work to parents and carers only.
- Group work for children and young people: We offer separate groups for boys and girls.
- Group work for parents and carers: This helps them support their child and manage their own needs appropriately.
- A telephone support line: For when support comes to an end.
- Consultations to professionals: For those who are working with children who have been sexually abused.
Due to high demand for the service we operate a waiting list.
Where work takes place
The service is delivered at Family Action offices or at a suitable alternative location such as a school, GP surgery or community centre.
How we work
- The service is child-focused and ensures every child and young person is involved in planning the support they receive. In this way the work is tailored to meet the needs of each individual.
- Where appropriate, we aim to include the parent and carer in support. This may involve attending the end of each session, or receiving telephone feedback from the social worker.
- We provide advice to reduce the risk of future abuse and re-victimisation.
- We provide psycho-educational support to understand the impact of trauma.
- We provide emotional support around the impact and consequences of trauma.
- We teach a variety of coping strategies to help manage feelings.
- We create a safe space for children and young people to share their feelings.
- Our service is confidential. We do not share information unless we have to do so to protect a child or vulnerable adult.
‘It’s been so helpful to be able to talk to someone about how I feel.’
‘The support helped me get through what happened.’
Download a PSA Case Study to read about how we have supported one young person. This is also available within the Our Voices website area.
Making a referral
- Parents, carers, children and young people can make referrals over the phone, by downloading the referral form (below) or requesting a paper copy.
- Families can also be referred by GPs, CAMHs, schools, Leicestershire Children’s Services, police, and voluntary organisations. If you have any queries or would like to discuss your referral, please call or email (see details below).
- Re-referrals are welcome as we recognise children’s understanding and awareness of sexual abuse changes as they grow.
We are unable to offer a service in cases where there is a current police investigation or the case is due to go to court.
Pre Trial Support Service
Find out about Family Action’s new Pre-trial Support Service, which supports children aged up to 13 who have experienced sexual abuse, and their non-abusing parents/carers.
PSA Service Leaflet
PSA Referral Form
Information booklet for parents/carers:
Information booklet for young people (aged 12+):