Skip navigation


Who should I approach if I need support?

If your child is in an early years, school or FE setting, you should contact the SENCO there (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator). Otherwise, contact your local authority and they will put you in contact with your local IAS team.

What support can I expect to receive for my child?

The local IAS team will give you advice and support on all aspects of SEND. Your child may also be able to receive SEND support in school, such as extra help from a teaching assistant, a therapy course, or targeted group work to develop speech and language skills. Your local Information, Advice and Support (IAS) Service can give you advice about SEND support available.

What is an EHC Plan?

Your child may be eligible for an Education, Health and Care Plan (known as EHC Plan). This is a plan of care for children and young people aged up to 25 who have complex needs and may need specialist support. Your IAS team can provide further information on how to get an EHC Plan.

How will the IAS team help me get the support I need for my child?

The support available from an IAS will vary, depending on your local authority and the needs of your child. The IAS team may be able to offer support via phone, email or face-to-face meetings.

Do I need a referral to access the IAS support?

No, you may contact the IAS service directly. See the relevant webpage for contact details.

How do I know my concerns will remain confidential?

Any issue you raise will not be shared with anyone without your prior agreement. An exception is where someone is at risk of harm or if there may be a child protection issue.