Skip navigation


Duty of Local Authority

Many children with SEND will also have health needs, and every Local Authority has a duty to ensure that appropriate health care is provided to children and young people with SEND. If you feel your child may have additional health needs, make an appointment to see your GP in the first instance. They may then refer your child for treatment (eg physiotherapy) or more specialist assessments (eg at a local hospital). You may also find it useful to speak to other professionals such as the school nurse, SENCO, or health visitor.

Useful links

Within the useful links section you will find details of organisations that can provide information, resources and guidance around a wide range of health conditions. The Contact a Family website also offers advice on rarer conditions.

If your child has complex health care needs, speak to your SENDIAS team, who will be able to advise you on their eligibility for a health care plan. They can also provide information about local support groups and forums.

If you are not happy with the health care your child is receiving or a diagnosis your child has received, your SENDIAS team can assist you with resolving your concerns or even with making a complaint.

You might find it useful to browse the website of your local Healthwatch service (google for details of your nearest service). This offers advice and support about all health-related services and can advice on making health complaints.