Family Action’s Grants Service distributes funds from over 70 trusts that have very diverse eligibility criteria, allowing us to meet a wide variety of need. Clothing, fuel bills, household items such as beds and cookers are most commonly requested, but we can also help with more varied needs.
We can help
Our Welfare Grants programme assists families and individuals with low incomes, particularly those living on benefits. Grants are available to people living across the UK.
- Mental Health: Adults(over the age of 18) with a clinical diagnosis of a mental health problem.
- Domestic violence: Grants for families or individuals in the first six months of fleeing the family home and/or the first six months after moving into a new home, or the first six months after the perpetrator has left the family home.
- Young People (aged 19 to 25): Grants to support young people living alone (i.e. not living with friends, family, others, including children).
- Older People: Support to promote independence, improve the quality of life and isolation for those aged 60 and over
- Sickness/Disability: Grants to pay for disability aids that will benefit the applicant in their home. Funds are also available for medical treatment or to defray the expenses of convalescence and recuperation.
- Local Funds
We have a number of funds which can accept grant applications for any welfare needs to those living in the following locations:
- London Borough of Hackney: applications can be accepted from residents of the London Borough of Hackney.
- St Pancras area: applications can be accepted from single mothers with children under 4 years of age living in the following postcode areas: WC1 and NW1.
- Paddington area: applications can be accepted from residents of the W2, W9 and NW8 (Westminster only) postcode areas.
We cannot help
Grants are not available for:
- Council tax arrears
- Debts (except utility bills)
- Funeral expenses (including associated expenses, such as headstones)
- Gifts (such as toys for birthdays, Christmas or other festivals)
- Items already covered by statutory funding
- Private school fees
- Rent arrears
- Rent deposits
- Living expenses
- Items already purchased
- Repayment of any loans
Please note that the date for accepting new application has changed.
We accept welfare grant applications between the following dates each year:
- 1 – 31 January
- 1 – 30 April
- 1 – 31 July
- 1 – 31 October
Unfortunately we are unable to accept welfare grant applications outside these dates. No exceptions can be made. Welfare grant applications received outside these dates will be returned to the referral agency.