About this role
We are working in partnership with Fareshre to bring Food On Our Doorstep (FOOD) clubs to local areas. FOOD clubs provide healthy food at low cost to people at risk of food insecurity. Club members save money, and by utilising surplus food, the service reduces levels of food waste across the country.
Our FOOD clubs rely on volunteers to keep running, so we can continue to improve life chances and benefit the wellbeing of local families.
What is the time commitment?
This role is for 4 hours per week approximately. Minimum commitment for 6 months.
Who will you be helping?
Families accessing are clubs are facing food insecurity, which means they can’t always access the food needed to make up a healthy diet.
Living with food insecurity has negative impacts on family members’ health and wellbeing. Individuals are at higher risk of dietary related illnesses and diseases, and more likely to experience mental health difficulties. Children who are hungry at school can have difficulty concentrating, and therefore find it hard to learn.
What difference will you make?
From the feedback we receive, we know our clubs make a huge difference to members. People tell us Food On Our Doorstep has changed their lives massively and that they couldn’t live without it. As well as being financially better off, our members say they eat more healthily, as the food they receive challenges them to try new recipes.
As a FOOD Club Volunteer you will be part of the friendly team providing local families with an affordable way to access food whilst also saving food from landfill.
For FOOD Clubs in this location, we are trialling the Tempo Time Credits reward system. As a volunteer, you will be eligible to sign up to Tempo Time Credits and earn credits for each hour you volunteer for FOOD Clubs. These credits can be exchanged for a wide range of rewards to be used in person and online. The reward can also easily be gifted to a person of your choosing. We hope the trial will lead to a wider sign up with Tempo Time Credits, so your feedback will be asked for. If you would like to find out more about this scheme, the website for Tempo Time Credits is https://wearetempo.org/
Who are we looking for?
There is no typical Family Action volunteer. We want our volunteers to be as diverse as the people we support. We need volunteers with a range of life experiences, skills and knowledge. In return for giving your time and talents, you will receive quality training, ongoing support, and the reward of knowing that you are making a real difference. This role will particularly suit volunteers who:
- Have previous experience in at least one of the following environments: retail, health & safety, environmental health, education and/or previous work with families
- Are able to work as part of a team and on their own initiative
- Are enthusiastic about delivering high quality customer service
- Have a clear understanding of food hygiene standards and procedures (training will be provided)
- Are able and willing to travel at short notice across designated region when necessary (does not apply to every FOOD club – check with your local coordinator)
- Have the ability to lift and carry heavy food parcels if needed
- Have the financial capabilities to collect money, ensure its safekeeping, and issue receipts accordingly
- Are able to build and maintain positive relationships, promote positive emotional wellbeing and greet service users with a friendly welcome.
What's in it for you?
Family Action volunteers tell us that volunteering with us can be challenging at times, but it is also very rewarding. Many of our volunteers also report that they have enjoyed:
- Becoming a part of Family Action, a national charity with over 150 years of experience supporting families
- Meeting new people and being part of a team
- Connecting with and making a difference to the lives of people in your community
- Regular training and development opportunities
- The opportunity to improve future employment prospects
- Developing new skills; increased confidence and self-esteem
All Family Action volunteers receive full training and access to ongoing supervision and support as long as they are in the role. For FOOD club volunteers, this includes training in food hygiene and manual handling (where relevant).
How can you find out more?
You may like to chat with a member of staff about whether this is the right role for you, or you may be ready to apply right now.
Either way, just click the ‘I’m interested’ button below to leave your contact details, and a member of staff will be in touch to discuss your next steps in becoming a Family Action volunteer.