The National School Breakfast Programme (NSBP) is funded by the Department for Education and delivered by Family Action to support schools in England to provide children with a healthy breakfast at the start of the school day.
Family Action is committed to supporting child development, and we believe a healthy school breakfast, without barrier or stigma, can set up children to succeed and give them the very best chance to learn.
About the programme
Building on the success of the National School Breakfast Programme, Family Action can offer up to 2700 schools a place on the new National School Breakfast Programme. The programme will run from July 2021 to July 2024 providing schools with up to 3 years of support to run a successful and affordable school breakfast provision. The offer is available to all schools that have 40% or more children in IDACI bands A-F.
The National School Breakfast Programme will provide:
- All participating schools will receive a 75% subsidy for breakfast club provision until the end of the current programme in July 2024. Meaning you pay just 25% of the cost of food and delivery
- Good practice sharing opportunities, resources and the opportunity to learn from a national network of schools.
- The opportunity to enhance parental engagement on healthy eating and the importance of having a nutritious breakfast each morning.
- A knowledgeable school support team, will be on hand to provide remote advice and support to help you get the most from your breakfast provision.
Family Action will work with schools to…
- Identify and target children who would benefit most from a regular, free healthy breakfast, so that they and their families feel able to access the support, without barriers or stigma.
- Share the compelling evidence and research that supports why it is so important for children to have free access to a nutritious breakfast at the start of every school day
If your school is currently receiving support for your breakfast provision from Magic Breakfast, or Gregg’s, your school will unfortunately not qualify for the National School Breakfast Programme.
The National School Breakfast Programme now has an additional 200 places which are available on a first come first served basis.
If you are interested in joining the programme, please complete an expression of interest on the link below and one of the team will be in touch.
Expression of Interest.
Find out what other schools think about the programme
Click on the links below to find out what schools think about the programme and get our latest news and updates.
Over 350k children get their morning off to a better start with the National School Breakfast Programme
The National Schools Breakfast Programme is now supporting 2500 schools
What schools think about the programme
Case Study: The Bemrose School
Case Study: Uxbridge High School
Latest News and Updates
If you need help please contact us: [email protected] or 020 4551 2251.
Please note the best way to get more information on the programme is to complete the Expression of Interest form and a member of our team will be in touch.
The Impact of the National School Breakfast Programme
Please see below our progress report for the new programme.
Progress Report September 2023
Progress report June 2022
The reports below clearly highlight the impact that the National School Breakfast Programme has already achieved to support the educational outcomes of children in the most disadvantaged areas of England. The feedback from schools shows the value they see first-hand in having a supported breakfast provision. As a result of this positive impact many schools are making significant changes to the start of the school day in order to prioritise a healthy breakfast for all pupils. Read the reports to find out more about the NSBP 2018 – 2021 delivered by Family Action and Magic Breakfast.
Impact Report 2021
Food for Thought Progress Report 2019
Breakfast at home resources
Take a look at our Breakfast at home area for ideas, tips, nutritional information and fun recipes to enjoy healthy family breakfasts at home and start your day in the best way.
Breakfast at home