Lincolnshire Behaviour Outreach Support Service (BOSS) has been commissioned by Lincolnshire County Council on behalf of the community of schools in Lincolnshire.
Our aim is to support schools in a variety of ways to enable them to more effectively support their pupils that display behaviour that challenges, with a view to delivering an inclusive approach to learning.
The Lincolnshire BOSS team offers mainstream schools/academies across Lincolnshire a wide range of support to meet their ongoing needs, for example:
- support to develop whole-school approaches to behaviour management, including behaviour policy audit, training and development for school staff, managing breaks and identifying the needs of pupils with behaviour that challenges
- advice and support for school staff dealing with individual children presenting with behaviour that challenges. This will include joint observations, assessment, planning, delivery of intervention and review
- interventions to support groups of pupils focusing on social and emotional skills, anger management etc
- intensive interventions to support individual pupils including one-to-one coaching
- referral support and supporting pupils’ reintegration from Lincolnshire Teaching and Learning Centres
- open and bespoke training events and programmes
- support and guidance to develop an understanding of Restorative Practice in School
- targeted specialised restorative interventions delivered by a qualified restorative BOSS practitioner.
Family Action’s partners, Restorative Solutions CIC, also provides expert advice and training to support schools to reduce challenging behaviour and conflict through the use of restorative approaches, as well as running a restorative practice pilot scheme across 16 Lincolnshire schools.
There are many potential reasons for pupils to display behaviour that is challenging – signs of abuse, anger or distress, mental health, poor environment, inconsistent routines to name but a few. Lincolnshire BOSS is able to offer free taster sessions during 2017–18 to support schools to address issues that may be contributing to pupils displaying behaviour that challenges. We can also be commissioned to deliver bespoke in-house half-day or full-day training for individual schools/academies or clusters.
We are currently planning our next conference. This will be held in the autumn and will focus on restorative approaches. Please email us on Lincolnshireboss@family-action.org.uk to be put on our mailing list to receive information and a booking form nearer the time.
The Lincolnshire BOSS team welcome feedback from schools/academies that have received support, attended workshops, and so on. Your feedback will help us to improve the service we offer schools and academies across Lincolnshire.
We will soon be issuing our annual survey and encourage you to fill in this in, to help develop our service further to ensure it meets the current and future needs of you, your staff and the families you work with.
Building emotional resilience for your school
Lincolnshire BOSS offered two free one-day training events on 15 and 16 May 2017 to support Lincolnshire schools and academies to address issues that may be contributing to pupils’ challenging behaviour. Both events were organised by the Lincolnshire BOSS team, with support from the Marketing team, and were facilitated by the Training and Consultancy team. Rachel Garner, Business Support Officer, says:
‘We were overwhelmed at how popular these events have been. We filled all 60 of the places available and were delighted to welcome school staff from across the local authority, such as teachers, SENCOs and TAs.’
Each training event gave an opportunity for participants to explore four areas that can contribute to a greater understanding of issues affecting pupils and ways in which these can be addressed.
1. Strengthening Wellbeing and Professional Resilience:
2. Attachment in the Classroom
3. Adolescent Mental Health
4. Restorative Practice in Schools
Feedback from both events has been extremely positive. Of the 50 completed feedback forms received:
- 78% scored 5/5 to the question ‘How did you find the trainer’s presentation/ style of training?’
- 96% scored 5/5 to the question ‘How did you find the trainer’s level of knowledge and expertise?’
- 88% scored 5/5 to the question ‘Did the training meet its stated objectives?’
‘I really enjoyed this course and feel there has been a lot I can take away and include in my day to day role.’
‘Thank you. The most valuable training session I have attended.’
‘Very friendly trainers, felt at ease, trainers easy to talk to and approachable.’
‘A very informative day, thank you.’
‘Very good day and enjoyed style of presenters.’
‘A brilliant course – best I’ve been on in years. Thank you so much.’
‘Thank you for a very informative day which will definitely impact on my practice.’
‘Enjoyed it immensely.
Find out more
Langton House, Lindum Business Park
Station Road, North Hykeham
Lincoln LN6 3QX
Tel: 01522 684769